Located in a valley high atop the Rocky Mountains, travelers can find the historic town of Crested Butte. The area appears remote, by being removed from the hustle and bustle of the big cities of Colorado’s Front Range and the Interstate-served resort areas of Summit County, which we feel makes our town unique and charming. However, this doesn’t mean it’s hard to get here.
The closest local airport is the Gunnison-Crested Butte airport (GUC), a 30 minute drive from the town of Crested Butte.
Airlines servicing GUC:
Rental Car Companies from GUC:
Montrose Regional Airport (MTJ) is the second closest airport at an hour and a half to two hours from the town of Crested Butte.
Airlines servicing MTJ:
Rental Car Companies from MTJ:
Ground Transportation from GUC and MTJ to Crested Butte:
- Alpine Express 1.800.822.4844
- Dolly’s Mountain Shuttle 970.209.9757 or 970.349.2620
- Crested Butte Specialty Services 970.901.6400
Check with the Colorado Department of Transportation for current road conditions. The routes you will be interested in are:
- US 285 from Denver to Poncha Springs
- US 50 over Monarch Pass and through Gunnison
- SR 135 from Gunnison to Crested Butte
- Kebler Pass (open mid-May to first snow storm in the fall)
- Cottonwood Pass Road from Buena Vista to the Taylor Park area (open mid-May to first snow storm in the fall)
- Please view the Monarch Pass Highway Cam. This is the major pass our guests will cross coming from Denver or any point in the Midwest.
Getting Around Town
The town of Crested Butte is easily accessible without a car. In fact, walking, town shuttles and The Purple Mountain Bed & Breakfast townie bikes (summer months) and the town shuttles are the preferred method of in-town transportation.
FREE Town Shuttle:
The Town Shuttle route connects Crested Butte and Mount Crested Butte. The route operates every 15 minutes from 7:00 am to midnight during ski season and every 20 minutes during the summer months. It is a five minute ride from the bus stop closest to the Purple Mountain Bed & Breakfast to the base area of Mount Crested Butte Resort.